“Without a goal, you can’t score.”
A goal stimulates the creativity of the human mind. It creates a necessity. And it has been said that “necessity is the mother of invention.” We see the reality of this every day. When we help a company set a proper goal, the goal creates the necessity. And the human mind kicks its’ creativity into gear to figure out how to accomplish the goal. Following are five steps to good goal setting.
- Define reality. In Max Dupree’s book, Leadership is an Art, he declares that “The first responsibility of leadership is to define reality.” So first, define reality, i.e. determine what the right target objectives are for your company.
- Determine a Goal. Next, write the goal(s) to accomplish the target objective.
- Make it a SMARTT Goal. In order to be effective, your goal should be a SMARTT Goal. Revise each goal accordingly. Specific Measurable Attainable Relevant Tangible Time Trackable.
- Write it down. Writing down a goal has proven to increase success in achieving it. Besides preventing it from falling through the cracks, writing it down helps your mind remember it.
- Prioritize your Goals. In addition to ensuring the most important things get done first, prioritizing your goals clears your mind and gets you focused on activities that help you reach your goal.
It works! Try it!
The ABA Insider is published by American Business Advisors, Inc. to provide business and personal improvement information and ideas. All material is presented to provide general and broad information only. The information found in this publication does not constitute business, tax, financial, or legal advice and should not be acted upon without seeking the counsel of professional advisor.
Originally posted 2015-08-13 19:13:38.